Monday, May 2, 2011

When did this become a political blog?

I tend to take anything that the media creates a huge interest in with a grain of salt. This is probably, as previously stated, due to my background in political science. I was babysitting last night for a couple who does not have a television. As the little ones were sleeping, I was checking facebook studying for finals. When I heard the President was going to make a speech, I immediately began surfing from NY Times, to Cnn.com, to Washingtonpost.com waiting for an answer. Suddenly, it was there: OSAMA BIN LADEN KILLED, PRESIDENT OBAMA TO SPEAK AT APPROXIMATELY 10:30 PM EST.

My initial reaction was sort of  "Huh.....what do you know...", and realizing how big of a media obsession this story was about to become. I had never been big on labeling the "Most Wanted" terrorists. It reminds me of about 9 years ago, when the government had issued "Most Wanted Playing Cards". So, we killed the King of Hearts...only 51 more cards to go.

When the family got home we turned on the radio to listen in. So it was true, he was killed, but what bugged me more than the media frenzy, or the facebook status updates, was the sense of celebration. I had a similar experience with the execution of Saddam. Yes, he was responsible for the death of so many innocents, but does that mean we should lavish in the thought of somebody being shot in the head? When 9/11 happened, we were appalled by the sight of people cheering and handing out candy in other countries. "How barbaric!" we though. Last night I heard people chanting "USA! USA! USA!" and "Ding dong the witch is dead!"...is that really so different? Terrorism is about mindless killing. While Bin Laden did orchestrate ample amounts of terrorist operations, his death does not mean an end to terrorism. The way in which people acted only heightens the hatred that his supporters have toward America. We're making this a competition "My guys killed your guy"...but what of it?

Closure, yes. I am happy for the families who fell victim to 9/11 that they may achieve some level of peace. I do understand the psychological impact this will have for them.

I guess the new question is, who becomes the next King of Hearts? What next? How long until we have to go through the pain of another terror attack? When will it all stop?

1 comment:

James said...

Shameless plug win!

Thanks for the post. It's one of the most cogent I've seen out there. Especially the tie to the celebrations after 9/11. It's eerie how under a different situation, barbarism suddenly becomes patriotic.

~Sonic#