Friday, April 29, 2011

This "Royal Wedding" Business

First off, a big "Mazal Tov" to the happy couple, I'm sure they'll have lots of blessings..yadayadayda

BUT ALSO:

Dear Americans,
Do you REALIZE how happy I am, as a student of political science, that I can FINALLY watch the news without having to see coverage of this mindless dribble? OH BY THE WAY, remember when the English monarchy had a tiny little tiff with us? "No taxation without representation" and such? Yeah..so umm...it's a little weird how obsessive you've gotten about this whole thing. I mean, princesses and princes get married all the time and we don't really care, unless they were the "motherland" during the dark ages of colonization. Judging by media coverage of similar situations, such as the Pope's death, and the OTHER royal wedding, I'd say we have at least another month of coverage before this whole thing dies down.

Oh goody.

That's not to say I think the British Monarchy is evil or anything. Actually, just recently I saw a production of "The Madness of King George" and I have come to realize that, although we have been taught that he was an evil oppressor (which..I mean, he was in a sense), George III was actually quite the politician and a good father to his fifteen children. 

Enough political musing for the morning, I've got my last day of undergraduate classes to attend!

No comments: